Friday, December 10, 2010

Christmas Rum Cake


We had a Christmas party for my MFT program, and were invited to bring our favorite holiday baked goods ... and the winner is - Rum Cake!! I remember having this growing up, as my Grandma would make this every Christmas eve. Not everyone would get as excited as I did about the Christmas Rum Cake... but I think Rose last night shared in my joy :) So, for Rose ... here's the recipe straight from the Duncan Hines site, since it's made with good ol' yellow cake.

Ingredients:
1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)
1 package yellow cake mix (**)
1 (3 3/4-oz.) package Jell-O vanilla instant pudding and pie filling
4 eggs
1/2 cup cold water
1/2 cup Canola Oil
1/2 cup Bacardi dark rum (or any kind - I used a splash of Black Strap Rum, and the remainder Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum)

Glaze:
1 stick butter
1/4 cup water
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup Bacardi dark rum (again, any type is fine - I used all Cap'n Morgan)
** If using yellow cake mix with pudding already in the mix, omit the instant pudding, using 3 eggs instead of 4 and 1/3 cup oil instead of 1/2.

Glaze:
Melt butter in saucepan. Stir in water and sugar.
Boil for 5 minutes, stirring constantly, and remove from heat.
Stir in rum.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Grease and flour 10-inch tube or 12-cup Bundt pan.
Sprinkle nuts over bottom of pan (optional)
Mix all cake ingredients together.
Pour batter over nuts.
Bake 1 hour.
Cool; invert onto serving plate. Prick top with fork (many many times!! This creates all sorts of little holes for the yummy glaze to soak into. Don't be shy!)
Spoon and brush glaze evenly over top and sides.

Eat up! I don't have a picture because this was gobbled up way too fast! But I'll make another one soon, I'm sure... :)


2 comments:

  1. Love this recipe!! :) you're the best baker in the northwest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now Dad wants a rum cake...thanks, Michelle :P

    ReplyDelete